Dr Davidson oversaw the transition from the Miller street building into the red brick building of CHS on Shelley Drive. He faced many problems, his school role in 1950 was 1300 pupils although building work was not complete! This was eased in 1958 with the opening of Braidfield Secondary School. He retired in 1964.
Mr McLaren took over in 1942 in the middle of WW2, he had the problem of the Clydebank Blitz, where the old building on Kilbowie Road was destroyed and his Miller Street School was badly damaged. To make things worse, his new School on Shelley Drive which was yet to open had been hit by a parachute mine also. He retired in 1946.
Dr Andrew Cecil Paterson’s contributions to the school vary. Firstly, he introduced the school colours of gold and chocolate. He was praised by inspectors for his pupil’s work. He saw his school take part in extra curricular activities, such as the girls’ choir on BBC radio in 1931 and in the following year, the Football first XI won the Scottish Secondary Schools’ shield at Hampden.
Dr Paterson’s history at CHS 1900-1906 Master, Pupil Teachers’ Central Classes 1906-1911 Master of Method, Junior Students 1906-1920 Principal Teacher of English and French 1911-1920 Second Master, Higher Grade School 1921-1941 Rector, The High School
Dr Paterson’s book – “The educational history of Clydebank” is available at the research library in Clydebank and a copy is held at the University of Glasgow. You can read more information here.“
This photo was discovered by Sam Gibson during a blitz exhibition in Clydebank Library. Sam then forwarded it to OldCHS. It shows the building (which at that time had not yet been opened as a school) surrounded by the devastation caused during the Clydebank Blitz of 13th/14th March 1941. In the background is the “Holy City” destroyed by the bombing. The famous Singer clock also appears on the right of the photo. Photo credit: West Dunbartonshire Council, Clydebank Library.