02 Kilbowie Road (1876-1888)

The first purpose-built school: Kilbowie Road (1)

The “bothy school” in the shipyard had become unfit for purpose as a school for the rapidly-expanding town. As such, a new school was required and the second building of CHS was constructed at the bottom of Kilbowie Road in 1876.

However this building quickly became overcrowded and was demolished only ten years after it opened and replaced by the third CHS building with over three times the capacity. This requirement for such a large increase in capacity in such a short time is a great indicator of the growth of Clydebank.